Copyright Guidelines for the Project
See the Acceptable Use Policy of Rootsweb. The rules on this page do complement this AUP rules.
The contents of the individual pages of this web site are the responsibility of the submitter or maintainer whose name and e-mail address is listed at the bottom of each page. The submitter or maintainer must make certain that no copyrights are infringed.
Re-use of the Site content
A researcher may use any part of the BELGIUM-ROOTS material on his or her web site that is relevant to his own research, provided due credit is given to BELGIUM-ROOTS and the submitter or maintainer of the page.
When a researcher places an extract from BELGIUM-ROOTS on his or her web site, he or she must create a link between the extracted material and the relevant page of the BELGIUM-ROOTS web site.
Consequences of these rules
- No file, present on the BELGIUM-ROOTS site at http://belgium.rootsweb.com/, can be used in a frameset of a site, external to this project. Those that we consider as belonging (for this purpose) to the project are listed on the workgroups or initiatives page of this site.
- Any copy of content of this site can be done, but must refer to the relevant page on this site.
- Any copy of content of this site can't be done without permission of all parties involved, if the new resource will be sold (those involved parties are listed on the bottom of each page).
- Any copy of content of this site can be done, but must relink to the relevant page on this site, if posted on a web page, a message, etc ... .
ResearchYour questions should be send to the Support Team member, as listed on the bottom of each page. If not available, you can send them to the webmaster using this feedback form, or to the mail list BELGIUM-ROOTS-L. This last is preferred for questions related to research.
Active support, technical problems, suggestions, ...If you want to participate, do have technical problems with the web site or the mail list, do have suggestions, etc ... then use this feedback form.
Complaints, etc ...All other questions can be send in English, French or Dutch to either
Extract of the page at URL:
RootsWeb Resources may not be resold. No RootsWeb facilities — for example, Web sites, mailing lists, and message boards — may be resold. Public domain content on RootsWeb may not be harvested for commercial or other use, other than as would have been permitted by the Fair Use provisions of American copyright law if the material had been copyrighted. Material written and posted by an individual may not be harvested for commercial or other use, except with the permission of that individual or as permitted by Fair Use. Web sites housed at RootsWeb may not be framed to appear as if originating at on another server.
Privacy statement of Worldconnecthttp://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/FAQ/wcsubmit8.html
When using the Worldconnect system, to display your GEDCOM data, you can determine how to protect the privacy of the living persons.
When visiting the Worldconnect system, you can encouter data about yourself. You can ask the submitter of those data to remove them, following these guidelines.
- The April 1999 issue of the IIGS Newsletter
- ... In a coordinated effort with the US Internet Genealogical Society (USIGS) and the Brown Family Genealogical Society, IIGS Newsletter focuses on issues such as copyright infringement and plagiarism and the need to develop standards and guidelines for responsible on-line genealogy.
- Mike Goad's U.S. Copyright and Genealogy
- Cyndi's List - Copyright Issues
- WorldGenWeb - Link, Logo, Copyrights and ownership ...
- Press Copyrights In Belgium (Dutch & French) (NEW 2002.02.21)
- We don't agree with them concerning the legal use of deep links. They do consider them as forbidden, we do consider that a fair use of deep links is acceptable.
- Internet Sources for Copyright Information by Kevin L. Sholder
- U.S. Copyright and Genealogy by Michael Goad
- Copyright "Facts" (01 July 2003)
- and the most important in genealogy, related to this topic: Copyright and Plagiarism: What's the Difference? (28 July 2002)
- US Copyright Table
- Belgian Copyright: a link page to PDF files with the official texts (Dutch only)
- compiled by Johan Vansteen