Don't forget: an immigrant never came alone! He came with his friends and relatives, and also went to someone. Therefore, don't discard information about another Belgian:
he may be the clue you need to find your family's origin!
Search and follow on this page our three main links .. marked with
Technical questions not to ask or discuss on the mail list
- How to subscribe or unsubscribe
- Helpdesk Rootsweb
- About Viruses & Hoaxes by Andrea Vogel (H-W-E Mailing list)
- And if this don't solve the technical problem ... mail to the List administrator or the webmaster firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are subscribed to our mailing list. They will probably give you some technical guidelines, if possible.
How to ...
- How to trace a Belgian immigrant (by Georges Picavet):
First most important page to print and read
- How to write to a Belgian Municipality to obtain records
- First visit to the Family History Center (FHC)
- How to ask a BELGIUM-ROOTS lookup volunteer for a lookup
- How to transfer money from abroad to Belgium
- How to search the correct Belgian place to find records
Helping each other ...
Frequent Asked Information
- Belgian Surnames on the Internet
Helping yourself ...
The BELGIUM-ROOTS Site
Visit the site
- Your first visit ? Click here.
- Navigation tips [not yet ready]
Search the Project Resources
- Full search of the BELGIUM-ROOTS site with PicoSearch
Third most important thing to use
- Full search of the BELGIUM-ROOTS- Mailing List
New on the list ? Subscribe first before posting.
- Other Queries possible on this site
Contribute to the siteMissed something on the site and did you find it yourself, with the help of others ? If possible contribute your solution, transcription, URL ... to our site, so that others don't have to invest their time as you did.
Manuals, Guides, ...
- GeneaKnowHow (Dutch, with some English texts)
- Genealogy in Belgium (VVF: Dutch, with some English texts)
- Manual of Genealogical Research in Flanders by Johan Roelstrate (VVF)
- GeneaGuide (French with belgian 'Salle de lecture')
- RootsWeb's Guide to Tracing Family Trees
- Lesson 1 Where to begin?
- Lesson 2 What's in a name?
- Lesson 3 Using technology to dig up roots
- Lesson 4 Vital Records: Death, Tombstones and Cemeteries
- Lesson 5 Vital Records: Marriage Records and Evidence
- Lesson 6 Vital Records: Birth Records
- Lesson 7 What is the Question?
- Lesson 8 Why You Can't Find Your Ancestors
- Lesson 9 Census Records: Soundexes, Indexes and Finding Aids
- Lesson 15 Tracing Immigrant Ancestors (Click here
- Lesson 16 Naturalization Records
- Lesson 26: Belgians
Genealogy - Belgium
Bibliography about emigration:
AndragogyClick here if you want to know more about education for adults