Suggestions on how to send money overseas for your genealogical expenses
Many members of the List participated in adding ideas to this Money Transfers document. This final summary of 01 April 2001 has also been posted on the List.
Need to send money overseas? Here are some of our suggestions, especially from the USA.
- At the United States Post Office (phone and make sure your local post office has this service), purchase an "Authorization to Issue an International Money Order". Cost is US$8.50 per money order. The maximum amount for a single postal money order is $700. http://www.uspsglobal.com/info/faq/infopost.htm . There is a reciprocal procedure for foreign money orders coming to the USA.
- Also another site: http://www.sendmoneyorder.com/ re international money orders provided by Traveler's Express. The cost to send an International Money Order is $3.00 for the first $25.00 and then $1.25 for each $25.00 increment thereafter. Also have an internet check.
- At http://www.westernunion.com , they will do a money transfer from USA to Belgium for a transaction fee of US$15 on US$30.
- There are other methods, 1 of which is to put US currency in an envelope, but you really have to know the party you are dealing with.
- An other one to add to the list is http://www.foreignmoney.com/. Some people on the list have used them and have been very pleased with their service.427 North Camden Drive, Suite F Beverly Hills, CA 90210 Phone: 310 278-6628 Fax: 310 278-6410 Toll Free: 888 278-6628 email@example.com
- Moneygram International Money Transfers (by Traveller's Express)Travelers Express/MoneyGram Attn: MoneyGram Customer Service 7401 West Mansfield Avenue Lakewood, CO 80235 1-800-MONEYGRAM (1-800-666-3947) 1-800-926-9400 http://www.moneygram.com/ Used to wire cash quickly across the globe.
- Excerpted from Eastman Newsletter of April 8, 2001:
- The currency conversion fees charged by VISA, MasterCard and American Express are much lower than the fees listed above.
- c2it by Citibank - https://www.c2it.com/
A new International Service is now available from c2it. Beginning May 15, 2001, you'll be able to use your U.S. credit card to send money from the U.S. to 30 countries. You can send a check or a direct deposit, and depending on the destination country, the money you send will arrive in local currency, Euros, or U.S. dollars. While still not cheap at a $10.00 fee for checks and $15.00 for direct deposit, c2it remains cheaper than most of its competitors. International Currency Express:
- Ruesch International:
http://www.ruesch.com checks in foreign currency; orders only accepted by telephone: US$20 per check and upwards. Ruesch is more expensive than ForeignMoney
Other countriesSuggestions for other countries are welcome.
BelgiumLastly, the cost of cashing an International Money Order depends on the bank's check cashing fees where the person will be cashing it. Maybe our Belgian friends can let us know what banks in Belgium are charging these days for cashing international money orders, assuming that the person cashing it is a bank customer.
Note: this will be added soon.