This web site is dedicated to all descendants of Belgian immigrants, in any country of the world, doing research on their Belgian heritage.
- Belgium, Flanders, Wallonia
- Genealogy, history, culture
On this site will be stored any information that researchers wish to make available to their fellow-researchers.We explain on this page:
Top of Page
Structure of the site
The contents of this web site is mainly organized on basis of the geographical origin of the information. If you need to know which languages are spoken in Belgium, you will have to look under the heading Belgium; if you need to know more about the demographics of Flanders in the 18th century, you will have to look up Flanders, and if the sources available for Tournai are of interest to you, you will have to look under Tournai.
Go to the search page, if you want to search for any word on any page of the site.
For every geographical unit (country, community, region, province, arrondissement, county, city, municipality, township, ...) an identical outline has been adopted. Since the construction of this web site is an ongoing process, not all topics have been documented yet. And only geographical units with specific data present, do have a page.
To help you find the pages of interest, a detailed site map has been created.
Top of Page
The Global Site Map lists the main items of the Site Outline (mainly levels 1 and 2). For each item, on this page, with the word "SITEMAP:", we have made a Section Map, which can be reached by clicking on the link.
On the same line you can find the names of the Support Team (ST) member and the Proofreaders-English (PR) volunteer assigned to the group of pages listed on that Section Map. It's possible that one or more pages in the group has additional ST and/or PR volunteers. These names are not clickable.
Also listed is the creation or last update date of the Section Map.
A major update is planned and/or the content of a section is incomplete when marked with the icon
The status of the "proofreading English" is (or will be) shown on the Site Maps with the icons (= not yet done) or (= done) or nothing (= not yet done).
Send a mail to Luc Matthijs if you want to be a proofreader or support a part of the site as ST, for a task that's marked as free (OR currently assigned to Georges Picavet or Luc Matthijs). We will discuss with you the specific context of the task. If we all agree, it's yours.
Top of Page
The following URL are virtual names, more or less used in the context of this Project:
- belgium.rootsweb.com: this subdomain name on a virtual server of Rootsweb is the main domain name of the Project; all other names are only used for practical or technical reasons.
- www.belgium-roots.be: points to the Waasland Project of our founder, Georges Picavet.
- www.belgium-roots.be: will redirect to the Home Page of this Project
- help.belgium-roots.be: will redirect to the Home Page of this Project
- project.belgium-roots.be: will redirect to the Project documentation
- prov.eastflanders.belgium-roots.be: will redirect to the East-Flanders section of this Project
- waasland.belgium-roots.be: will redirect to the Waasland section of this Project
- www.geneabel.com: redirects now to a page of the Places section of this Project; will be used in the future to host an archive version of the former Belgian Place Names lists of Michel Colin.
Top of Page
You can go to:
- the Belgium-Roots Transcriptions section, to see what we have already in the site
- the volunteers section, to read how you can join our team.
In this context you can also read the following pages: