Flemish Region and Community
Outline related to Belgian Emigration
Flanders is presently one of the federal states of Belgium, covering the northern part of the Kingdom and including the Belgian part of the historical County of Flanders, part of the Duchy of Brabant, part of the Prince-Bishopric of Liege and a little part of the Duchy of Limburg.
Its population amounts to about six million people, Dutch being their official language.
The Flemish Region is composed of 5 provinces
The Flemish Community is composed of the same provinces and the Region Brussels-Capital is included.
- Flemish Region
- Flemisch Community
See also the territorial subdivision of Belgium.
Some historical subdivisions did bemlong to several administrative subdivisions. These pages are listed here for the Flemish part of Belgium.
Period before 1795This region didn't exist as such before 1795. The name refers to the County of Flanders, who was composed of what is now the Belgian provinces of East-Flanders, West-Flanders, parts of the Ducth province of Zeeland and of the French departement Nord.
Interesting to note is that, for a inhabitant of Paris at that medieval time, a "Flemish" was someone who did have the King of France as feudal Lord and was living North of the Somme (so not only teh County of Flanders, but also the counties of Hainaut, Artois, ...).
Period 1795-1830This region didn't exist as such in this period. The occupants tried to impose French as the unique language, as they did in other parts of Napoleon's French Empire
- Digital Resources: Netherlands and Belgium:
A allmost complete list of all sources available as an electronic file for Belgium and the Netherlands.
Local History Societies
- List of societies by the HK Olen
- Trefpunt voor Vlamingen in de Wereld
- Meeting point on the Internet for all Flemish emigrants, expatriates, ...
- You can find here a list of all Belgian/Flemish clubs, ..
- Has a public and a private section. Free registration required for the private section.
- (a project of the Flemish newspaper "De Standaard" with the Flemish Community)
- Flemish-Canadian Circle of Friends
- Quote from their site:
- "The purpose of our organisation 'Flemish Canadian Circle of Friends' (FCCF) is to connect as many people as possible wo are interested in Canada in whatever what way."