Outline related to Belgian Emigration
This administrative district was created in January 1816 from parts of the District Rocroi (France), as a result of the Treaty of 20 november 1815.
The population was in 1816 34667 inhabitants, growed until 1880 60456 inhabitants, slowly declined to 56348 inhabitants in 1946, but is again slowly climbing (58228 inhabitants in 1963).
Some of the municipalities of this district do have a more or less French origin.
- Full name: L'Office de recherche généalogique, héraldique, histoire locale et régionale de l'arrondissement de Philippeville
- Web Site (French)
- The Geographic Center of the European Community
- "It is located near the French border just outside Oignies-en-Thiérache, a village of the Viroinval community."
- MAP: Philippopolis vulgo Philippeville munitifs Comitat Hannoniae Opp. by Guicciardini (ca. 1575) [Heritage Map Museum]