Family Names, Surnames
- List of resources for teh documentation of names used in the Low Countries prior to 1600 (1996)
- Kate Monk's Onomastikon (The sources cited for "The Netherlands section" are in fact those for the Low Countries).
- Bibliographical List by François Nielsen
- Surname Distribution Studies Read the section about variants and surname corruption !
- Census Information and Surname Distribution (USA)
- Oude vleivormen en varianten van voornamen by F. Debrabandere (VVF site)
- List of first names, as they where used in Medieval Flanders, with their actual 'translation'
- First names by José Schoovaerts
- Behind the Name by Mike Campbell
- The etymology and history of first names
- The Medieval Names Archive by Joshua Mittleman
- Place Name Servers on the Internet (Arizona State University)
- Boards and committees on geographical names, onomastic institutions etc. (Place Names board of Estonia)
- ShtetlSeeker - Town Search for Central & Eastern Europe by JewishGen
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names On Line
- Geographical name distribution
- VVF Databases
- Patronymica Romanica
- French - Historical Dictionnairy of personal names
- Data from the [Belgian] National Register
- All (187,000) surnames, as listed in the Federal Population Register (provincial level)
- Type the (partial) surname in the field "Clef 1" and click on "Recherche"
- You will recieve a page with all surnames, that contains the word that you have entered with the distribution of each name (provincial level) and the INS number of that surname
- Ex: if you look for MATTHIJS, you could enter MAT and receive a page with about thousend variations OR you could enter MATTHIJS, that results in a list of 4 variations. Use the first method to look for all possible variations (in my case MATTEO, ...) and the second to look for the distribution of a surname.
- Place Names
- GEOserv - a German town locator
- Click here for an extensive help
- Short and sweet click here to create the mail, replace the word "Placename" with the place name you are looking for, add variations o,n separeta lines, don't add a subkject line, ... and send. You will receive a reply wintin some minutes
- Instuut voor Naamkunde en Dialectologie
- Dutch - Historical Dictionnairy of personal names
- Atlas van de familienamen in het Nederlandse taalgebied
- No direct access to the data
- Patronymica Romanica